Tuesday, July 29, 2014

black clothes - lygophilia.



Black Clothes - Lygophilia

5:30

1. The Great Leap
2. Memories
3. Ocean


sometimes I think that I judge submissions too harshly...scratch that, it's more like I judge everything too harshly. over the years I've seen a lot of works in progress - band demos, scripts, short films, feature films, even fine art - and the overwhelming majority just don't have it.

and that's not because I'm tied to some preconceived notion that good art should be one thing or another - I can find it in my cold, cold heart to love raw and polished, original and derivative works alike. but those things that I love, they need to have something I'm able to cling to, something that cuts deep and forces me to hold onto it.

sometimes I'm able to articulate what that thing is.

but sometimes I'm not.

and this is one of those times.

I don't know what it is about this debut demo from vancouver's (hilariously named) black clothes, but I've listened to lygophilia over and over, trying to pinpoint what makes me come back and I've thus far been unsuccessful. it's not groundbreaking, it's not filled with incredible riffs...but something makes me return to it again and again.

maybe it'll do the same for you, maybe it won't. hell, most of you will probably outright hate it. but it's only five minutes long, so give it a shot.

I don't think that's asking too much.




(pay what you want on bandcamp.)





No comments:

Post a Comment